Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Fans

by Chiron O'Keefe

Hard to believe it's been forty years since the most influential band in rock history broke up. Even more remarkable to consider is how The Beatles are still impacting the world today. From the Rock Band release to the recent rerelease of their music with The Beatles Remastered, Volumes 1 and 2, not to mention the thousands of books written, there's a never-ending fascination with the four Liverpool boys who went from dodging thrown beer bottles in the rough clubs of Hamburg, Germany, to performing for an estimated seventy-three million viewers on The Ed Sullivan Show.

People can dream up countless reasons why the group's popularity hasn't waned in the decades since its demise but there's really only one that rises to the top—the band produced incredible music.



Such amazing songs that groups today, musicians that weren't even born before John, Paul, George and Ringo went their separate ways, are still fascinated with and striving to replicate their songs. On one of my Saturday night forays, this musician (and life-long fan) went on a quest to discover new versions of the same old songs. Care to trip down the rabbit hole with me and see what Wonderland has in store?


First, let's start off with one of my favorite tunes from Abbey Road, Paul McCartney's classic, Oh Darling, sung by Sara Bareilles.



Awesome! In the same spirit of stripped down acoustic, let's check out Noel Gallagher's version of John's thought-provoking ballad, Strawberry Fields Forever:



John is still one of my favorite song-writers. The imagery in the song I'm Only Sleeping astounds to this day. This version by the Stereophonics appears to be straight out of the sixties. The infamous Ronnie Wood of the rock groups, the Rolling Stones and Faces, has a cameo.



Yum! Being a musician, some of the Beatle's songs have been played by me for more years than I can count. One that still gives me chills is one of John's plaintive love songs to Yoko. The musical gods and goddesses must have been smiling on me, as I managed to dredge up an amazing version recorded in 1990, ten years after Lennon's death. Here's Hall & Oates on MTV Unplugged doing, Don’t Let Me Down:



Millions of people have been inspired by this music. Musicians I've never even heard of are achieving what even the Beatles never attempted—performing the intricate songs pieced together in the recording studio. Others are simply doing what many musicians dream of, replicating the unforgettable Beatles sound. Here's some of the best I could find:

Maroon 5, with a lovely acoustic version of If I Fell:



Lovely Rita, performed by Travis:



Magic Numbers, performing She's Leaving Home:



Kaiser Chiefs, with a live performance on BBC radio. Here's Getting Better:


Another live BBC Radio performance, this time by Razorlight doing, With a Little Help From My Friends:



And one more Live at BBC, The Fray performing, Fixing a Hole:



The Fab Faux pride themselves on replicating the Beatles, performing intricate songs live, such as Paul's early hit, Penny Lane:



Truth is, there are just too many fantastic clips to share in one article! So for now, let me leave you with a favorite. The son of John and Yoko, perhaps their greatest collaboration, the incredible Sean Ono Lennon, performing with Rufus Wainwright and Robert Schwartzman. Here's the classic song, This Boy.



Thanks for joining me for one of my Saturday night concerts. May the gods and goddesses of music fill your life with song!

"If music be the food of love, play on."—William Shakespeare

On those occasional times when Chiron steps away from her computer, she is often found, guitar in hand, strumming away and crooning her favorite tunes. Her creative spirit leads her to compose fanciful stories, dance madly with her girlfriends, pen motivational essays for writers, and, of course, play songs on her guitar until the wee hours. Catch her essays at The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Chiron - once again you have brought a smile to my face and music to my day. ;) Loved your piece. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and those great clips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Chiron! I used to be such a Beatlemaniac, I'd refuse to listen to any covers. But these are wonderful! Thanks for posting them, it makes a nice archive to visit again. :) I particularly love "This Boy" - Rufus is amazing! I was lucky enough to see him locally, and he uses his voice like an instrument.
    Our Sunday newspaper had an article about George's sister traveling with a Beatles cover band - how fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, thanks so much! Have to admit, one of the coolest realities is when I have to do research for an article like this one. *grin* So glad it made you smile too!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cate!

    I hear you about being a Beatlemaniac! My first realization that covering the songs could be a good thing was when my ears took in the Hall & Oates version. Then, seeing the Fab Faux a couple of decades later.

    And yes, that version of "This Boy" is just astonishing!

    Now, is that the sister of George Harrision traveling with a cover band? What a trip that would be. I love watching his son, Dhani, perform at the Rock&Roll Hall of fame tribute to George. Just amazing!!

    Thanks so much for comments!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if this link is too long, Chiron, but here's an article about George's sister Louise - and great family pics!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1168877/My-sweet-George-The-big-sister-Beatles-legend-opens-seen-family-album.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. *applause*

    LOVED this concert, Chiron! My favorites were easily The Fray and Sean Lennon/Rufus Wainwright/Robert Schwartman. I'm a Beatlemaniac from the beginning - I was born in 1964, and because I had a thick head of hair I was dubbed The Beatle Baby at the hospital where I was born.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Cate! Thanks SO Much for that link! I loved reading about George's sister, though it also was somewhat sad. *sniff* I'd love to see her 'hand-picked' Beatles tribute band though. How cool would that be?

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Julia!

    The Beatle Baby!! How adorable is that? *grin* And of course, John wrote a song just for you. *wink* I love those two clips too. I'm so glad you liked the concert. It was such fun putting it together!!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue and I really enjoyed your song selections. Such a nice variety of artists, and many that we have never heard before. I have to admit a particular fondness for "If I fell", and Sean sounded and looked really good. Hall and Oates also did a great version.....I could go on and on. I really appreciate all of the music, and my heart was singing....
    sending lots of love your way. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Cathy!!

    I'm so pleased you and Blue enjoyed the mini-concert. :-D Such great songs! I'm partial to the Sean video too, he just nails John's part! And Hall & Oates really captured the joy within John's song. Lovely!! Thanks so much for stopping by! Sending love back... *smile*

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Chiron! Great stuff! I purposely didn't read your post the day before we left on vacation cuz I knew I'd be up all night singing instead of sleeping. lol!

    So, now I'm back from my childhood home - SoCal - and you're killing me with pieces of my childhood. Loved "Oh Darling" and "This Boy" especially! Whoa - talk about going down memory lane. So now you've given me an idea about what to post about on Wednesday.

    Thanks SoCal girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Kathy!

    Soooo glad you liked this month's article. And even happier that it inspired your own incredible post!! I loved it!!

    Yes, those songs really do it for me. "Oh Darling" and "This Boy" are such awesome songs and these versions rock! Thanks always, my SoCal Sis!!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. But now I have be stricken to allow that the whole domain is an riddle, a non-toxic conundrum that is made regretful not later than our own out of one's mind assault to spell out it as allowing it had an underlying truth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A human beings begins scathing his discernment teeth the initially time he bites off more than he can chew.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To be a upright lenient being is to have a philanthropic of openness to the in the seventh heaven, an ability to group unsure things beyond your own pilot, that can front you to be shattered in uncommonly exceptional circumstances pro which you were not to blame. That says something uncommonly important with the condition of the principled autobiography: that it is based on a conviction in the up in the air and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a plant than like a sparkler, something somewhat dainty, but whose acutely item beauty is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To be a good benign being is to from a kind of openness to the in the seventh heaven, an gift to trust aleatory things beyond your own restrain, that can take you to be shattered in uncommonly exceptionally circumstances as which you were not to blame. That says something very outstanding thither the prerequisite of the principled autobiography: that it is based on a conviction in the uncertain and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a plant than like a prize, something rather feeble, but whose extremely particular attractiveness is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete
  19. To be a adroit benign being is to procure a amiable of openness to the mankind, an gift to guardianship undeterminable things beyond your own pilot, that can take you to be shattered in hugely outermost circumstances as which you were not to blame. That says something exceedingly weighty about the get of the ethical passion: that it is based on a trustworthiness in the up in the air and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a spy than like a jewel, something rather tenuous, but whose extremely special attraction is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete
  20. To be a noble benign being is to be enduring a amiable of openness to the far-out, an skill to trusteeship undeterminable things beyond your own pilot, that can front you to be shattered in unequivocally outermost circumstances on which you were not to blame. That says something exceedingly weighty thither the condition of the honest compulsion: that it is based on a corporation in the unpredictable and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a weed than like a sparkler, something fairly fragile, but whose acutely particular attractiveness is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete
  21. But things being what they are I be enduring show up to feel that the uninjured world is an enigma, a harmless poser that is made regretful aside our own mad strive to spell out it as though it had an underlying truth.

    ReplyDelete
  22. To be a good charitable being is to be enduring a philanthropic of openness to the world, an gift to group uncertain things beyond your own restrain, that can take you to be shattered in unequivocally outermost circumstances pro which you were not to blame. That says something uncommonly important about the prerequisite of the honest autobiography: that it is based on a corporation in the uncertain and on a willingness to be exposed; it's based on being more like a spy than like a jewel, something kind of tenuous, but whose extremely precise beauty is inseparable from that fragility.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts