Saturday Night Music: Part One

by Chiron O'Keefe

Oh, how I cherish Saturday night.

Every week, I count the days. We either whip up a special meal or slip out and let others prepare tasty delights as we sip a fine cabernet. The guitars are tuned, the microphone clicks on, and we begin an evening filled with music. Eventually, our fingertips sting and we reluctantly admit growing a bit weary. Usually by 1:00 a.m., we coil up the cords and flick off the amps, but we're still too wired from playing to call it a night. That's when we settle in front of the PC's widescreen monitor and turn to the slice of musical heaven known as YouTube.

This month, I'm sharing a typical Saturday night session, with a fun mixture of older songs and current hits. Music lovers might want to bookmark this page for a more leisurely viewing when the mood strikes. Ready to rock?

I first caught Eric Hutchinson's song during a typical errand-running Friday. Struggling to find pen, I dashed down whatever lyrics I could remember whenever I hit a stop-sign or red light. Catchy tunes and evocative lyrics always please me. Here's "Rock & Roll":



Hubby and I were working up the song, "I Wish It Would Rain," which naturally led to us wanting to catch the tune on video. Sometimes, during these forays magic happens. By divine accident, I stumble upon something incredibly cool. So it went when I discovered this amazing version from 1992 from Whoopi Golderg's show, featuring Otis Williams, Melvin Franklin, Richard Street, Ron Tyson, and Ali Ollie Woodson. For lovers of sweet harmonies, you're in for a real treat. Here's the Temptations singing "I Wish It Would Rain":



Followed by the same wonderful voices crooning "My Girl":



Maroon 5 was one of the many bands conjuring up tasty renditions of Beatles' songs, which led me to checking out their originals. My favorite (so far) is an upbeat melody that is simply irresistible. I loved it so much that I searched out the chords, printed them out, grabbed my acoustic and began working on it immediately. Love this song! Here's "Won't Go Home Without You."



We then went searching for alternate versions of an old song we love to perform, "Heart of Stone". What we found was not the same song performed by the Rolling Stones and Elvis Costello, this is an original but the video is so astonishing I couldn't tear my eyes away. Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo are the Danish musicians that create the unique Raveonettes sound. Here's their original, "Heart of Stone":



Ever heard of the Noisettes? My husband first shared with me their hit tune, "Never Forget You" which reminded me of the 60's and 70's soul music I still cherish. While searching for that particular song, I found this absolute gem. No idea what it's called, the title simply reads, "Noisettes: Acoustic".



Just a few songs left for our Saturday Night Concert. Recently, I discovered the joy of satellite radio. On the Sirius station called "Coffeehouse", a sweet song flowed over me like a summer breeze. Again, I scribbled down the title and the duo singing. Hope you enjoy this beautiful tune called, "This I Know", by Sam & Ruby:



I grew up crooning along with 60's and 70's soul music. Loved the show Tower of Power, The Spinners.

Here they are, performing an old favorite, "It's A Shame":



Bobby McFerrin is a brilliant musician. He pioneered the concept of voice as instrument, performing with such luminaries as YoYo Ma and Chick Corea.

He performs here with McNally Smith Faculty member Judi Donaghy. Here's "I Can See Clearly Now."



Maybe it's because I grew up with the Beatles, Beach Boys, and the Motown hits, that I love dance songs that just feel good. We close this Saturday Night Session with a favorite tune that always lifts my spirit high. Dance with me to the marvelous music of Michael Franti

This one goes out to you and yours worldwide
I say hey I be gone today
But I be back around the way
Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know
But I know one thing
That I love you...




I love you, I love you, I love you!

Hope you enjoyed this peek into our Saturday Night Sessions, another fun glimpse of the treasures available through the magic of YouTube!

I must say, often when we're devouring cool videos, we immediately think of one or two we just have to see next. How about you? What should be the next video to watch? Do share!

Until next time,
Chiron O'Keefe

Chiron O'Keefe is a writer, musician, singer and dedicated dreamer who believes in magic, whether in song, word, or movement. She's been published in American Astrologer, wrote a column for a local paper, was an opening act for Timothy Leary during her songwriter days, co-wrote and performed comedy in South Lake Tahoe, played Prospero in The Tempest, won first place in a lip synch contest dressed as Mick Jagger, and is now focusing on writing mystery suspense. You can read numerous motivational essays at The Write Soul and connect with her on Facebook.

Comments

  1. Oh boy, I'll be rockin' today! Would so love to drop in on one of your Saturday nights - at least I get to experience them here. The truth is, I don't remember the last time I stayed up until 1 a.m. - lol! I'm more likely to wake up at 1 a.m. after falling asleep early and then I plug my headphones into my iPhone and play favorite selections on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy!

    Hope you like the songs. :-D It would be fun to have you over for a Saturday Night!

    Yeah, we're crazy with the late nights on the weekend. ;-P Too many years in the entertainment field, I suppose. Even working at the Shakespeare Festival or Cirque Du Soleil's box office, meant late nights! It seeps into the bones.

    Thanks so much for dropping in, my dear!!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, if hubby and I could set our schedules every day of the week, we would choose to be up all night and sleep during the day - somehow we imagined that would be our life in Vegas. Maybe some day. Wonder how hard it would be to train the cats - lol!

    Loved the videos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Chiron I love your posts! I love all the music you post. I now have a mondo crush on Eric Hutchinson! And I LOVE the Noisettes! Aren't they awesome? So much great music out there. I hate the way Top 40 radio has become. But thank the Gods for YouTube and satellite radio! yay for good music! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Maroon 5. Sounds like I would love your Saturday nights, too. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate the way you introduce me to new songs, new artists, and old favorites! I'm smiling and humming, and feeling good.
    thanks!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge apologies to all for not realizing I had more comments here. Note to self: CHECK GMAIL!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi JoJo!!

    I have a huge crush on Eric too. MAN, but he's good. WOW.

    And I can officially say that the Noisettes blow my mind, dudette. *grin* They are so awesome. Now hubby and I are working on one of their hit songs: Never Forget You. Soooo awesome!!

    Yup, thank goodness for other resources. I'm still coming in a year or two behind. *laughs* But at least I'm finding them. Another great resource, television shows! I caught a great song on the HBO show, Hung which led to another cool band to keep an ear on.

    Thanks so much for your comments!!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Morgan!

    I've downloaded the chords and lyrics for Maroon 5's song, "Won't Go Home Without You," and it's such a cool song to play!

    I bet we'd have a lot of fun on Saturday night with you!!

    Thanks for jumping in. Most appreciated!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathy!

    So lovely to see you here! I'm glad you like the new songs too. It's so much fun to discover cool artists. The music scene is just bursting with amazing and fresh sounds. I love it!

    So wonderful too, seeing how the new tunes mesh with old favorites. Yay!!

    Thanks so much for visiting. Glad you enjoyed the concert!

    --Chiron

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you but hope you are a real person and not a spammer. :)

Popular Posts